Ma'am, I seem to have come late to this thread, and I think you've
already chosen to go back to the multiple-table schema. I'm just
posting to say that I think you made the right decision.

If you have data that is structured in tree form, i.e. if you have
something along the lines of
        *
       / \
       * *
        / \
        * *
       /
       *
and the number of levels is known ahead of time and can be a fixed
part of the design, then you should use one table for each level in
the hierarchy. (Even where the structure is more complicated that a
tree structure, the principle still applies.) If I understand your
description properly, this describes your web page design. One type
of entity links to one or more other types of entity, which in turn
link to one or more other types, on down the tree to a fixed depth.
Relational databases were created to handle this type of information
structure.

If your web page data is structured in this way, then the person who
told you to use a single table either didn't understand your data
structure, or doesn't understand database design. My experience is
that when this principle is ignored, the project is in trouble.
There's a limit to how much a programmer can do to solve problems
caused by bad database design, as you have discovered.

Bob Hall

>Can anyone help me on this one
>Lisa

Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.     -Khushhal Khan Khatak