Resend of previous message.  Should I be posting this to a more technical
list?

- - - - - - - -

I have just run into a strange problem that I'm having a hell of a time
extricating myself from.  Here's the story...

Recently, I upgraded to MySQL 3.23.33, mainly to experiment with some of the
new transactional capabilities.  But a whole chunk of code which had always
worked perfectly began failing.  After adding evil debug code to display all
MySQL error messages, I found that I was getting the following error when
trying to retrieve data from a query result:

  "Commands out of sync; You can't run this command now"

I looked up this error on the mysql site, and was taken to this page...
http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/o/Commands_out_of_sync.html
It mentions the need to use the command mysql_use_result(), but php doesn't
support that.  I understand that it's on the "to do" list.

Does anyone else have experience with this problem?  At the moment, it has
me completely incapacitated, as moving back to MySQL 3.22 is not an option.
The applications in question are seriously heavy with database usage, and
can't really be slimmed down.

(Another problem which may be related is that I have been getting
unpredictable results connecting to the database with mysql_connect and
pconnect -- sometimes it fails to connect for no apparent reason (about 1
time in 20, maybe (which is a lot))).

Thanks in advance...
Alex