MySQL doesn't support sub-selects.

However, in many cases you can get the same result by either
reorganizing your queries or creating a temporary table.  For more info,
see

        http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/i/Missing_Sub-selects.html

For example, your first query, rearranged to use joins, might wind up
looking something like

        SELECT cia.name
        FROM cia, table
        WHERE cia.region = table.region
        AND table.name='Brazil'

For the second, I'd do something like

        SELECT name
        FROM table
        ORDER BY count DESC
        LIMIT 1

---
Mark Roedel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  ||  "There cannot be a crisis next week.
Systems Programmer / WebMaster  ||   My schedule is already full."
     LeTourneau University      ||                    -- Henry Kissinger