This can give a fair idea of where that person has come from, and if they
are international then the country may be obvious. I would be very surprised
if you could collect meaningul information about which state they are tho.
In my experience, however, lots of hosts turn off reverse DNS lookups....
last count in my stats was 40%. That said, there are pretty much no other
(simple) ways of doing this