if libphp4.so is not there then php is not compiled properly. or apache has
not been complied pointing at libphp4.so.

apache config line should look something like this

$ ./configure --prefix=/www --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

have a look at the install doc for php (there's a brilliant short version i
always use)

i've installed php, postgresql and apache loads of times so if you need any
more help mail me at work and i'll be glad to sort you out.

Steve