olinux,

When you move to remote connections and want to compile ODBC support into
PHP on a *nix box, you will need a Driver Manager in the mix as well as the
ODBC Drivers.

There is a HOWTO on compiling the iODBC Driver Manager with PHP at
www.iodbc.org.

Basically, it involves getting the iODBC SDK and
using --with-iodbc=/path/to/odbcsdk
Let me know if you require assistance.

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism
OpenLink Software  http://www.openlinksw.com
Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers