Hi,

> Dear Experts
>
> When ever i try to run MySQL under linux it gives me following error
>
> ERROR 2002 : can't connect to local MYSQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql.sock' (111)

this is with PHP isn't it? can you log in the monitor and then type SHOW
VARIABLES. A long list
will be displayed where the socket is listed aswell. Then check if the file
mysql.sock is in the
specified directory. You can also check in the "my.cnf" what the socket is.
I don't know the exact
path where my.cnf is located but I think on my SuSE box it was /etc Usually
it is in /tmp I think.

hope it helped
Johannes