I am connecting to an Oracle 8 server using OCI, PHP and Apache on a RH
Linux 7.1 box.
All works well until I try to query an Oracle dynamic view like the
following:

$query = "SELECT instance_name, host_name FROM v$instance";

When I execute this query, the server returns the following error.
Warning: OCIStmtExecute: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/oracle/oraprod.php on line 17

My suspicion is that PHP thinks that the '$' in the table name is the
beginning of a variable. Does anyone know how to get around this so that I
can execute a query with a table name like v$instance?

TIA,

Randy Rankin