mysql_insert_id([resource link_identifier]) returns the value of the
auto_increment field for the previous INSERT query. It will return 0 if
there is not an auto_increment field. If the link_identifier is not
specified, the last opened connection is used.

So, use $id = mysql_insert_id(); directly after your $result =
mysql_query($query); operation (where $query is an INSERT query) to pull the
id value you have just auto inserted back out.

Ian.

Manual page: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-insert-id.php
Crosswalkcentral <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I tried this and it gave me an error.
>
> Will this
>
> $id = mysql_insert_id();
>
> allow me to pull out the id?
>

> --
> Cross Walk Central
> www.crosswalkcentral.net
> Support Center
> Your Web Hosting Community!
>
> "Cynic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > At 19:19 8/19/2001, CrossWalkCentral wrote the following:
> > >I have a script where I submit user data to the database in my script I
> need
> > >to get the id  # how can I do this w/o creating a query that does the
> > >following considering that user could have 10 other entires.
> >
> > mysql_query("insert into ...");
> > $id = mysql_insert_id();
> >

> > >// Request info
> > >$result = mysql_query(
> > >"SELECT * FROM supportsys WHERE email = $email");
> > >if (!$result) {
> > >echo("<P>Error performing query: " .
> > >mysql_error() . "</P>");
> > >exit();
> > >}
> > >

> > >I basicly need to get the id$ of the record just entered
> > >--
> > >Cross Walk Central
> > >www.crosswalkcentral.net
> > >Support Center
> > >Your Web Hosting Community!
> > >

> > >--
> > >For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >To contact the list administrators, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]