What's the best way to get the primary key of a row just inserted into a
mySQL database?

    If the primary key is autoincrement, I insert a row.  It's successful,
but now how to do I read back the key of this table?

    Right now I'm adding a md5 hash of the session id into the row I'm
inserting, and then will read that row back.  But this seems clunky....

    Should I just go for a "keytable" approach?  Where I have a no
autoincrement fields and just a table that holds the key value for each
table.  When I insert a row, I lock the row of the keytable I'm inserting
int, update it's value, write it back, then use that key to insert into the
main table?