Nope, it depends on the driver manager you are using, and I believe the
first example has been deprecated in nearly all cases. Why do you need to
use the first?

Just use variables:

$dsn="dsnname";
$uid="user";
$pwd="password";

odbc_conenct($dsn, $uid, $pwd)

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism
OpenLink Software  http://www.openlinksw.com
Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers