> >Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address
> >tcp        1      0 burner.com:4848         burner.com:mysql        CLOSE
>
> [munge-alert!]

Hmm, looks like my pastes got whacked.  Oops.

> nope, if you leave it going for awhile nothing out of the ordinary
happens,
> the socket will be reused (when it's time is up).
>
> the reason it doesn't "go away" until Apache is closed is that this is
apache's
> socket, and not MySQL's, as the forreign address is the :mysql.

OK, thanks -- I did some rapid refreshes of a page and indeed, the 'CLOSED'
state sockets ultimately are being recycled.  I guess I just wasn't getting
the same httpd process that had them open before, because at one point I had
about 5 of these sockets hanging around while new connections continued to
appear.

 :  Bob Maple  (Brazilian)  : When love is gone, there's always justice.  :
 :  bobm at burner dot com  : And when justice is gone, there's always    :
 :                          : force.  And when force is gone, there's     :
 :     http: burner.com     : always Mom.  Hi, Mom!     - Laurie Anderson :