I create a png dynamically - store the path in mysql.

And want to be able to offer the user a zipped version to download
Unfortunately haven't been able to get it to work up until now !
I'm sure it's something obvious but...........

Open the png
$data = fopen('kunden/'.$name.'.png', "rb");
encode it
$gzdata = gzencode($data);
where to write
$fp = fopen('kunden/zip/'.$name.'.gz', "w");
write it
fwrite($fp, $gzdata);
fclose($fp);

what happens is the name gets included in the gz but written to it is only
kunden/example.png

Can anyone help ??

thanks in advance
regards