I'm working on an application that will allow resellers to log into the site
and see their potential buyers.

When they log in they see their potential buyers and by clicking a link they
will get more detailed information about their contacts.  They will also
have a link to update their clients listings.

As of now I have this set up like this...

A person logs in and sees their contacts.  If they click the update link
they are takent to a page that lists their contact information.  I've put
the respected variables in the "value" attributes of the input tags.  I want
to make this process as easy as possible.  I dont' want them to have to
update every field if they just want to change a contact's phone number.

Here's the problem...when they click the button to send the changes they
still see their old information.  I know that this is because I've set the
value to their old variables.  Does anyone know a way to get their old input
in as the variable value and to still be able to see their new information
on the next page.

I also want this information to overwrite any existing record based on the
potential contact's id.  The sql section of the code I have looks like this:
        $sql = "INSERT INTO $table_name
                    (id, contactid, fname, lname, title, cnl, address1,
address2, city, state, postcode,
                    country, phone, cell, fax, emailnl, smanager,
percomplete, nfud, exrevenue, wl, cwl)
                    VALUES
                    (\"\", \"$contactid\", \"$fname\", \"$lname\",
\"$title\", \"$cnl\", \"$address1\", \"$address2\", \"$city\", \"$state\",
                    \"$postcode\", \"$country\", \"$phone\",
                    \"$cell\", \"$fax\", \"$emailnl\", \"$smanager\",
\"$percomplete\", \"$nfud\", \"$exrevenue\", \"$wl\", \"$cwl\")
                    ";

        $result = @mysql_query($sql,$connection)
             or die("Couldn't execute query.");

I know this doesn't overwrite each entry.  I've also tried something like
this:
        $sql = mysql_query("update my_contacts set fname=$fname,
lname=$lname where id=$id");

Whenever I would try to run that query I would get an error back saying I
couldn't execute that query.

If anyone has any ideas I would be more than grateful.  Thanks for your
time.

I'm new to the php/mysql world so if I didn't provide enough relevant code
let me know.

Thanks.
Kevin