Hi Thies,
    Thanks for the info.  I tried re-configuring w/ --with-oracle=$ORACLE_HOME
and --with-oci8=$ORACLE_HOME.  After configuration I got the msg that
--with-odi8 there was no such file or directory as
/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7 (which is $ORACLE_HOME).  However,
now I am able to open Oracle thanks to you and your advise.  Thank you VERY
much.  Incidentally, what would OCI buy me?

--
      John Kolvereid
      http://www.odinfo.com