Terrestrial Program Biologist
Asst. Data Manager
Point Reyes Bird Observatory
http://www.prbo.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
Hola,
    Check out the php manual for an explanation of resources and arrays etc.

    "Resource ID #6" IS the result of your query - PHP stores it as a
"Resource." I've only used PostgreSQL and MySQL with PHP, and what you need
to do with a query result "resource" using these two databases is "fetch"
the data from it using a command such as mysql_fetch_array or mysql
_fetch_assoc.
    From http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.oracle.php it looks like you would
need to use ora_fetch to convert the "resource" into a PHP array. On this
page, there's a code example of how to use PHP's Oracle functions to extract
data from a database and output HTML.

Cheers,
db

John Kolvereid wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am relatively new to Oracle PHP and trying to figure out the
> Oracle functions.  I am able to connect and open a db.  But that's the
> extent of what I can do w/o further explanation.  Within the PHP docs I
> can view all the Oracle functions, but their explanations are sparse to
> say the least.   I tried the following:
>     $i = ora_do($conn, "Select count(*) from patients");
>     echo "returned $i\n";
> The statement is valid, I use it all the time in SQL+ and DBI.  However
> in PHP it returns 'Resource ID #6'  I am not sure that is a result of
> the echo statement or the ora_do function.  Please advise, and let me
> know where a better Oracle/PHP document resides.  Thanks.
>
> --
>       John Kolvereid
>       http://www.odinfo.com
>       http://www.kolvereid.com