If you followed the howto and you are still receiving an "undefined
function" error, than you might have more than one apache/php instance, and
you are starting the wrong one :)

What was the configure command you used?  Did you use a --prefix?  If so,
that is the one you need to start.

Also, check the output of your phpinfo(); to verify ODBC is enabled - the
link you gave to info.php is 'forbidden'.

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism
OpenLink Software  http://www.openlinksw.com
Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers