At 12:26 PM -0800 1/10/02, Daniel Barton wrote:
>Hi all,
>     I've noted that a least a couple of people on this list work with
>library catalog systems - I'm interested in finding out whether any of
>these systems are open-source or are available for a nominal fee.  I'm
>familiar enough with PHP/MySQL to make one, but I'd also like to avoid
>re-inventing the wheel if possible, particularly since I'm not a
>librarian :-). The non-profit that I work for has a significant
>biological science library that we would like to create a/use an
>existing web-based catalog system for.
>     Also, I'm aware that there is specific funding available for doing
>this @ non-profits... I was wondering if anyone else had endeavored
>along these lines.

Hi Daniel:

You may want to check HotScripts, or the PHP Resource Index
(http://www.hotscripts.com) and (http://php.resourceindex.com). These
locations will most likely have an array of free or low-cost library
solutions.

The biggest issue is despite the thought that a library is a library,
not all solutions are the same or that similar. Many work for
specific purposes. A good example is I've just finished the first
phase development of a library system. The solution will eventually
be open source, but serves a limited need.

The primary goal is for the solution to track materials (books,
articles, media), and software for our various client and users. To
that regard the library and software tables store any reference of a
particular material. From this base, clients and users an then build
their own personal libraries for viewing and tracking purposes. So
each client can have a library, as well as each user at a client
site. Ultimately, I hope to add a lending component to it, and work
with some of our nonprofits to do cross-organizational  check-outs
and returns.  The system is highly geared for technology-based
libraries, since this is of course our primary purpose for providing
the service.

So before you go searching, you may want to think a bit more about
what your needs are. Are you just tracking books? What about
articles? Journals? Magazines? Media?  Do you need categories? How
many categories can an item be stored in? Single? Multiple?  This are
just some issues.  But once you've gone through them, you may have a
better idea of which pre-built systems will work for you or not.

Alnisa
    Alnisa  Allgood
    Executive Director
    Nonprofit Tech
    (ph) 415.337.7412  (fx) 415.337.7927
    (url)  http://www.nonprofit-techworld.org
    (url)  http://www.nonprofit-tech.org
    (url)  http://www.tech-library.org
    Nonprofit Tech E-Update
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    transforming nonprofits through technology