post the entire line of code, (and the surrounding couple of lines??
and we'll get more of an idea.

-----Original Message-----
From: tomhilton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 17 January 2002 14:56
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP-DB] string compare function

Hi, I'm having a problem with the stcmp() function.  I have it comparing two
string variables, $pword and $conf_pword, in a script.  I know they both
have values, but the result always compares to 1 when $pword is the first
variable in the function, and -1 when $pword is the 2nd variable in the
function, no matter what string values are in the variables.  It seems like
the function is comparing the literal name "$pword" and "$conf_pword", not
their values.   I am working on a Win98 machine, does anyone have any
suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated

---