I did a community software where users can upload pics all over the
application. It is run on LVS cluster, so nobody can say to which of the
cluster members the pic is uploaded to. NFS, or unattended rsync/scp has
been denied by security policy, so the only way was to store the pics in the
DB (mysql).
I also did some performance measures, and, as all the pic requests had to go
thru php (for member verification), there was practically no performance
drawback; in fact, storing the pics in database was a bit quicker than
getting them through the filesystem when the number of pics went above
100,000 :-)
And now it is very easy to do full backups, and no problem with db/fs
getting out of sync.
Only one thing has given me a hard time: The first time I stored all 5
instances of an image (thumb plus 4 other resolutions) in the same db table,
but mysql choked on it when it became about 200 mb (the whole server did not
respond or respond veeery slow). I split the whole thing into 5 tables, and
now it runs like a charm.

Thomas