> >If this file has a .php extension remote users will not have
> access to
> >the variables because the file is parsed by php and they
> never see the
> >actual file contents when requesting the document via the
> web.  If you
> >are concerned with users on localhost having access to the
> file, simply
> >give it the correct permissions so that no one else has read access.
>
> No so easy.  The server itself must have read access.  If
> other users on the local host can install scripts that the
> server executes, any of those scripts can read the text of
> your scripts.
>
> What then? You're hosed.

That's the beauty of running safe mode.  With that engaged, scripts
can't access files owned by a different username.  There are ways around
it (we have a special exception set up for an app I've been working on
that allows it to include a file based on the domain it was called from
then include the proper templates, which are generally owned by a
different user), but it's difficult without shell access.