Did you type this out or cut/paste? There was a comma missing between >>>
state"\"zip   <<<. Should work when you add the comma.

Add a WHERE condition for the update, otherwise every row will be set to
these values.
Common practice is to use single quotes around the char variables, saves a
lot of escaping, keeps things more readable. In connection with this,
echoing $sql would probably have revealed the missing comma, and don't feel
badly, we've all done it.

Hope this sees you right - Miles