Jonathan,

You didn't mention which DBMS you're using (Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL, ...) and
the are each a little different but I'll try to solve with fairly generic
SQL:

My personal preference is keep it simple, break up the SQL if it helps (and
I think it would help here).

I'd use a third table, it will make this very simple.

/* not sure what datatype cardnumber is but it doesn't matter */
/* just make this match */

CREAT TABLE TroubleItems
(cardnumber int,
 numAuth int,
 numCharg int)

INSERT INTO TroubleItems
  SELECT cardnumber, count(*), 0
    FROM authtable
  GROUP BY cardnumber

UPDATE TroubleItems
  set numCharg = (SELECT count(*)
           FROM chargetable
           WHERE TroubleItems. cardnumber  = chargetable. cardnumber)

/* delete the ones that do match (they aren't trouble) */

DELETE TroubleItems
  WHERE numAuth = numCharg

/* Now the report you want is easy */

SELECT * FROM TroubleItems

/* then drop or empty TroubleItems - or delete the rows as they are fixed */
/* but don't run this again unless you empty TroubleItems */

I did test this on MS SQL server and it works fine there.  The only thing
I'm the least fuzzy on is will this update  statement work in MySQL (MySQL
is a little weak with sub-queries).  Even if that command fails you can walk
the list by selecting the cardnumber and doing a for each loop inside of PHP
- this would take a little longer but it would give you valid results.

Good Luck,
Frank