Ah Ha! I got it. This was a clear case of RTFM...
Based on what you said, I went back and re-read page
67 of "MySQL" by Paul DuBouis and sure enough, it made
sense this time...

Here is what I came up with:

SELECT gamedate, gametime, divisions.name as division,
t1.name as teama, t2.name as teamb FROM divisions,
teams as t1, teams as t2, games WHERE games.leagueID =
'$leagueID' AND t1.ID = hometeamID AND t2.ID =
awayteamID group by gamedate, gametime

Thanks again for all your help!!

John