Thanks to both Aron and Mr Crouch for their help...

Aron suggested three separate queries, which was a thought I had originally,
but as I was about to implement that idea, with the extra code that required
Mr Crouch came along with his 'test' variable idea. The code I used is at
the end of this post.

With the information supplied (and a little bug checking of my own) I am
able to say that I have succeeded in placing an <hr> above the first entry
of a 'dishtype' group, not exactly what I wanted, but light years ahead of
where I was. If anyone knows how to place it at the bottom (or after) the
LAST item of a group I would be most indebted.

Below is the reworked code that I used incorporating the ideas that Matthew
sent along, as a closing statement on my question:
-------------------------
 while ($a_row = mysql_fetch_array ($result) )
   {
    //strip slashes so input appears correctly
                $a_row[name] = stripslashes ($a_row[name]);
                $a_row[shorttext] = stripslashes($a_row[shorttext]);

if ($a_row[dishtype] != $loop)
   {
       echo "<hr size=\"1\" width=\"30%\" noshade>\n"; \\the required <hr>
tag
       }
    //here I placed more information about the dish
$loop=$a_row[dishtype];
   }
Thanks a lot guys

Keiran