First, I admit to being VERY new to PHP and mySQL and, to make matters
worse, I'm self-taught..

If you visit the demo site at http://fuzzheads.org/demo you might better
understand what I'm attempting to do and that might help better explain my
confusion with your suggestion.

The Parent Log displays the existing data for each week (up to the current
week, but not into the rest of the school year) divided into eight possible
types of work.

This is what the sql looks like:

$sql = "
 SELECT weeks.*, parentlog.*
 FROM weeks LEFT JOIN parentlog USING(week_no)
 WHERE parentlog.parent_id = \"$parent_id\"
 AND parentlog.student_id = \"$student_id\"
 AND week_date <= CURRENT_DATE
 ";

The _existing_ values are placed in the VALUE for each form input in code
like this:

<input type=\"text\" name=\"classroom\" value=\"$classroom\" size=\"2\"
maxlength=\"4\">
Hidden values for the $week_no, $parent_id and $student_id are included in
each row.

Since I'm starting with the existing value for each field, I'm confused by
your suggestion that the name reference as an array would be different from
the value reference.

What I'm shooting for is the ability of the parent to change any existing
value in any field in any week and then press a single Update button and
have all of the values updated.

John Hughes