I ran into the same problem on a script yesterday.. It turns out that one of
the vars in my mysql_connect() command wasn't assigned.. It gave me no
indication of this so I hadn't thought to look there.. I just happened to be
reading back through the whole page to see what I could find and noticed
that I hadn't set the var at the top..

Something else that I noticed in your code is that there doesn't seem to be
a mysql_select_db() call.. Unless that is somewhere else in the code and
just not shown here, you'll need it I believe..

Just a couple thoughts,

Bob Weaver