Getting a search function running perplexed me, too, until I looked at the
MySQL docs. With the Full-Text Search function I got a search function
working in minutes.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/F/u/Fulltext_Search.html

Watch out for the weird bug that ignores duplicate rows, though. It can make
for zero returns in small databases for no logical reason. That drove me nuts
until I figured out why it was happening. (It's mentioned at the bottom of
the docs.)