I encountered something similar. Here is a snippet of code:

$tdate=date("Y\\-m\\-d");
$time=date("G\\:i\\:s");

$query="insert into trackinginfo (IP_Address, username, date, Time,
Processed, CommentFlag)
 values ('$REMOTE_ADDR', '$username', '$tdate', '$time', 'N',
'$commentExists')";

mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

//RecordID is an auto incrementing primary key.

$query="select RecordID from trackinginfo where IP_Address='$REMOTE_ADDR'
  and username='$username'
  and date='$tdate'
  and Time= '$time'";

//used those variables as they are static for the page. And yes, that is a
bit of overkill you see there.
$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
$dummyvar = mysql_fetch_object($result);

$sid=$dummyvar->RecordID;