Look into Aggregate Functions.  They can let you do the things that you are
looking for.

SELECT Month(OrderDate) as 'Month', Count(DISTINCT Customer) as
'NumCustomersOrdering', Count(Customer) as 'TotalOrders' FROM tbl_Orders
GROUP BY Month(OrderDate)

will give you a list of months, and the number of Customer Orders.  Throw in
a distinct if you want to know how many different customers ordered.  The
GROUP BY clause basically tells it when to reset the counter.  You can get
sums, averages, counts, etc using aggregates.

Check this page for more information:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/G/r/Group_by_functions.html

(I mainly use MSSQL, so the syntax might be slightly different - refer to
the URL above for specifics).

03b701c20190$8f53fe00$630db092@HLATITUDE">news:03b701c20190$8f53fe00$630db092@HLATITUDE...