On Monday, June 24, 2002, at 01:52  PM, Matthew Crouch wrote:

> this bit from my index page is giving me 2 headaches:
> 1. it isn't passing anything into the URL
> 2. the page that gets called ("name.php") sits and tries to load
> forever. it looks like it's even filling up my hard drive with data (?!)
>
> Note: it does this (#2) even if I type in the URL with a variable and
> value, like "name.php?lastname=smith"
>
> <?
> printf ("<form method=\"post\" action=\"name.php?lastname=%s\">",
> $lastname);
> ?>
>       <input type="Text" name="lastname" size="75">
>       <input type="Submit" name="submit" value="Search for Last Name">
>   </form>

Can you do a "get" and a "post" at the same time? Tacking the lastname
onto the url as in "action=\"name.php?lastname=%s\"" is using a get
method, but your form is supposed to set lastname using the post method.
Is there some reason you want your script to set one version of lastname
and let the user type in a different version of lastname? If so try
using the post method with an <input type="hidden" name="otherlastname"
value="$lastname">.

-Steve