But I would like to do it the other way round. I mean for the solution
you have mentioned, I have to make the query on the whole record, then
compare the two dates and filter the right ones. I'd like to make the
query look like:

SELECT something FROM table WHERE datetime < "$form_date"

So I think I have to adjust the form of my "$form_date".

Or am I making a mistake somewhere?

Thanx
Gabor