First of all, you are not using the variable when you are passing it to
the sql string. Second, you are doing a pointless var check, and
thirdly, your condition statement is flawed.

1. SQL should be (if you have register globals turned on, otherwise you
must use $_GET['_Name1'] ):
  $_query = " select userName from users where userName='$_Name1' ";

2. mysql_query returns a result identifier - not the actual results. You
should use mysql_num_rows() to find out if any rows were returned (or
use the other mySQL functions to retrieve the actual data):
$numRows = mysql_num_rows($_result);

3. Print the value of $numRows, without doing a check:
echo $numRows;

4. In your IF statement, the equal comparison operator should be '=='
(otherwise you are assigning the value to the variable). What you also
could choose to do, is to leave out the comparison like so:

  if ( $_result ) // 0 = false, 1 = true;
   {
     echo "Name was found in the database";
   }
  else
   {
    echo "Name was NOT found in the database";
   }

Hope that helps..

Adam