I'm migrating my code from Informix 4GL to PHP, my problem now is how to
give the users the ability to make a query with the facilities that the
CONTRUCT verb gives in 4GL.

Suppose a form field name 'price' where the users can type the search
criteria

If the user type ...           I need to get ...
123.23                          "price = 123.23"
>100                             "price > 100"
<=500                            "price <= 500"
100..200                        "price between 100 and 200"
100,200                         "price in (100,200)"

In a string field named "city"
If the user type ...            I need to get
sacramento                      "city = 'SACRAMENTO'"
sacra*                             "city MATCHES 'SACRA*'"
>Wy                               "city > 'WY"
etc.

Something like ..
$qbe = qbe('city','options')
$qry = "select * from customers where ".$qbe;

and the qbe function can get the typed from $_POST[$parm1] and using the
options chose between char or numeric data type , upshift or as is, matches
or like, etc.

Exist something like that?

I'm reinventing the wheel?

How are you solving this kind of problem?

TIA

--
Fernando Ortiz Muņoz
Fabrica de Jabon la Corona, SA de CV