Is PostgreSQL started with the -i switch? (I think that's the one; it
exposes it to tcp/ip connections.)  Check your PGSQL docs to be certain.

Have you run a page with phpinfo? Is PostgreSQL support compiled into your
installation of PHP? This is a file consisting of
<? phpinfo(); ?>, named phpinfo.php. Again, I'm doing this from memory but
I'm pretty certain of the function name.

If you have a yes to those questions, then we can start on the rest. Check
to see if there is a pg_error function you can call if the connection
fails. Keep error reporting at a high level so we can see what they are.

Regards - Miles Thompson