I completely understand what you are saying, thanks for the reply.

Here is what happen. We, first couldn't connect so someone asked if phpinfo
showed PSQL in the output and it did not.

This lead us to believe we had a compilation problem with PHP, Apache or
Postgres. So we stopped looking for problems in our php code and began
looking for problems in the way it was compiled our tools.

There are many references to pgsql.so and we could not get this shared
object to get created. We have pgsql.o however. Thus, we started renaming
the file and copying it to different strategic directories to try to get
PGSQL to show up in phpinfo.

Now, I assume PHPINFO is simply verifying the PGSQL connection by trying to
connect to it under the Apache account name?

The problem I have with all this, as a newbie and a long time C/C++ guy, is
that you have no idea where the problem lies. It would be better if PHPINFO
would at least show PGSQL is part of the environment but that it simply
couldn't connect, eh?  Maybe there is a way and I am just not seeing it
right now?

I am just getting my feet wet with PHP so I don't know how PHP libraries or
includes work yet. I chalk this up to the fact I am still GREEN in this
area. Under C/C++, DLLS always expose their inards regardless.

Thanks

Eric