From: Cornelia Boenigk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 3:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] Struggling with PG SQL and Large Objects

Hi Eric

> It was my understanding (from a friend) that I could actually store
the
> files in the database and thereby eliminate me having to setup
permissions

If you use the large-objects-interface then the files go somewhere else and
the references (OIDs) are stored in the tables.

Another way is to store large objects by using the PostgreSQL-datatype BYTEA
which is a octet-stream of your data. If you use this datatype the objects
will be stored in the tables directly. But you have to escape the stream
before storing and to unescape when you retrieve it. Since PHP 4.2 you can
use the function pg_escape_bytea() before inserting. To unescape the
selected data use stripcslashes(). I think this schould work.

Another way is to use base64_encode() to encode the data and then insert and
base64_decode() after you retrieved it. This way the data is also stored in
the table directly.

Greetings
Conni