but you said this problem was the holes, what happnes when you fill an
auto_incement number in a 'hole' then the next number exists... does it
skip the next number(501) because it exists or does it give an error saying
duplicate entry for primary key???

It just seems to make sense to me that you'll have holes, it is just a
unique identifier, the data is correct, isn't that what is important?  i'm
not saying this to be a pain, i've struggled with this concept myself and
continue to come to the conclusion that i don't care if there are holes,
i'd rather have the info in the same order it was inserted into the table
and have that row uniquley identified...but i'd like to hear other reasons
for doing such a thing. As i don't see how it helps the most important
issue...data integrity.

my 2cents.    if i offended, it was not the point, just trying to learn
something new.

                    "Georgie

                    Casey"               To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    <webmaster@fil       cc:

                    mfind.tv>            Subject:     Re: [PHP-DB] Auto Increment
Problems....

                    07/29/2002

                    11:51 PM

why, is this question asked a lot??? anywa, thanks, i was gonna try
something like that from something i read in the mysql manual, but it only
mentioned it passing and didnt give an example or anything.

tanx