From: Miles Thompson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 12:12 AM
To: Russ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Ross Gerring
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] auto_increment problem???

Russ,

Check your docs to confirm this, as you are probably running a later
version than I'm familiar with. If the table is defined as type "MyISAM"

the autoincrement numbers do not get reused, they steadily increase. You

can rely on them. The default table type is ISAM, and the autoincrement
numbers do get reused.

How did I discover this? Same way you did, disappearing keys and very
strange results on selects. Fortunately I discovered the difference
before
I had too much data, but it had me going for a while.

Cheers - Miles Thompson

At 05:29 PM 8/23/2002 +0800, Russ wrote:
>G'day folks:
>
>The way I have my MySQL table set up should work as follows:
>
>1). If table IS NOT empty, get MySQL to insert auto_increment value
into
>primary key column as normal, then get value of previous record's
>second, none primary ID column. (latter column used for lookup purposes
>elsewhere)
>
>(This is do-able as there is already an existing record from which to
>gather a second none-primary ID.)
>
>2). If table IS empty, insert auto_increment value as normal, into
>primary key column and *the same value* into the second, none-primary
ID