What you want to do is common, everyday stuff. There are lots of examples.

There's a fine manual at www.php.net, fully commented. If you have a look
at mysql_query() I believe  there is an example in
the explanatory text / comments on how to use the returned results.

There are also lots of tutorials and examples, key words would be php,
database web site.

And, as always, Juli Meloni's www.thickbook.com, which has some really
well-developed tutorials.

Hope this points you in the right direction - Miles Thompson