Unchecked checkboxed do not return a value. They don't return a NULL or empty string or anything. So what you have to do is check to see if the variable is set. If it is set, then it's checked, if it's not set, then it's unchecked.

Kinda sucks if your variable names are dynamic, I just erase the whole record and re-insert in that case.

-Micah