From: David Bryant [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 10:43 PM
To: 'Ryan Jameson (USA)'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] postgresql vs mysql

I've worked with both extensively. My personal preference is PG. However, here are my findings over the years.

The biggest factor in performance is the size of the database, more than anything else. If you have a small and relatively simple RDB structure, MySQL is significantly faster. (this is changing however. PG has made some significant improvements in speed this last year, but MySQL is improving performance considerably with larger and more complex RDBs.)

PG has a much flatter performance line regardless of db size, whereas MySQL just gets much slower and slower as the db MB increases.