Hi again,

first of all thanks for quick suggestions.
After some more testing, I can get more specific:

This might be a more general problem than the "." in the error message. Even when I use $val = "hello" I get an equivalent error message

sqlite_query(): near "hello"

As said, I have done all the quoting stuff, so \' instead of ' was no solution either, until I tried double quotes instead of single ones, just as M Saleh Eg suggested. So the following statement finally works:

$query = "INSERT INTO node (uri,name) VALUES (\"$val\",\"\")";

Just for everybody else:

SQLite does not support the SET statement in INSERTs, so

INSERT INTO table SET attr=val

would not work.

Thx
Stefan