I'd do it this way...

I'd add two column in the users table. 1- activated, 2- activation-hash

once the registeration form is ubmited..
a-the username and user info will be saved in the users table.
b-an encrypted hash would be made n saved in activation-hash column
and sent along with the registeration info (username & pass) in the
form of a url (eg.
http://domain/activationpage.php?hash=ljk;lkj;lkjl;ksjfasdfa).

if the user is activated then the login function works for them if not
given a msg saying ur activation hasnt been done yet....

the activatepage.php should then put 1, or on in the activated colum
in the users table on the row that has the hash passed to it.

simple enought aint it?

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:02:07 -0700 (PDT), Stuart Felenstein
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Currently there are only 2 types of users planned
> Each has a basic access level.  I don't think this is
> the same as a usergroup though.
>
> If I don't have usergroups, but access levels, then
> perhaps I should set the level to some less then what
> is required login till activated.
>
> Then it sounds like I have the system autogenerate an
> activation code.
>
> Not sure what you mean by :
> > a separate table holding information on how to
> > activate (something
> > along the lines of userid, tousergroup,
> > activationcode).
>

> --- Oscar Rylin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Usergroups.
> > Most likely, you're dealing with an application
> > where you'll want to have
> > different kinds of users (administrators, power
> > users, users).
> >
> > Just make a usergroup for accounts that haven't been
> > activated yet.
> > Also, a separate table holding information on how to
> > activate (something
> > along the lines of userid, tousergroup,
> > activationcode).
> >
> > / rylin