Try:

Echo "<td><a
href=\"user_book_results_detail.php?book=$row[book]\">$row[book]\</a></t
d>";

I'm dubious on the $row[book] bit took, maybe you meant $row["book"] or
$row[$book].

Anyway, you didn't have a closing quote on the HREF, you don't need the
( and ) on the echo, you used the ' instead of " for the HREF (which is
probably allowed but I don't like it myself).

As for apostrophes, you should be able to escape them with \'

If you use ' to start an echo or href, then another ' is going to close
it.  If you use " to open an echo or href, then the ' should go through
ok, or maybe require a \' but should still be ok.

When you insert apostrophes into a database, use '' to escape it (I
believe that works in MySQL as well as other DBs), don't use \' when
inserting into a DB.

Your question is a little cloudy, but maybe that helped clarify a few
things for you.

-TG