Jason,

I tried the double quotes but that didn't seem to matter.  I also put the
command string in a variable and then am running the variable with exec.
Still it doesnt work.

$filename = "/home/virtual/site341/fst/var/www/html/db_backup_" .
date("n-j-y").".sql";
$command = "/home/virtual/site341/fst/usr/bin/mysqldump -u ***** -p*****
database > $filename";
echo $command;