try googling on

'php excelwriter'

or

'php excel writer'

if you require more than basic CVS (hint PEAR contains a class design to generate functionally rich XLS files).

----

another cool trick (which Bastien hinted at) is to output the correct headers so that IE (its IE only i'm afraid) will start up an Excel session in the browser window.... all you have to do is output an arbitrary HTML table of data
and excel will convert it for you on the fly.

a quick google led me to this article which will probably give enough info to get started:

http://www.evolt.org/article/Using_MySQL_and_PHP_to_Present_Excel_Spreadsheets/20/26896/