""lameck kassana"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> hey just make this
>  $sid = mysql_fetch_array($query) or die ('Could not fetch from database:
>> ' ." mysql_error().");
>  try this

Yep.  I figured that out yesterday.  Hit the nail right on the head.  As
I've learned from experimentation, the pipe operator takes precedence to the
assignment operator so I was basically evaluating whether my query or a die
statement returned a true value (which the query statement was, so it never
processed the die()) and then assigning "true," or 1 to $query.  The 'or'
operator by contrast processes after the assignment, so the following line:

$query = mysql_query("some SQL") or die();

first assigns a handle to $query (assuming the query is valid, which in my
case it was) and then evaluated the value of query.  This leaves me with two
remaining questions.  I'm coming from a Perl background, so I'm wondering if
there's a documentation page somewhere for PHP operators (something along
the likes of perlop) and as an experiment I tried the following code, and it
behaved exactly like the code I first posted, which I'm not sure why:

($query = mysql_query("valid SQL")) || die();

Shouldn't everything within the first set of parentheses here evaluate as
the first || condition?

Thanks for everyone's help,
Matt