In my apache web server error log, I see the following:

[Fri Jul 13 11:19:55 2007] [error] [client an.ip.addr.ess] MySQL ERROR: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql.server.ip.address' (110) [Fri Jul 13 11:19:55 2007] [error] [client an.ip.addr.ess] MySQL user anHTACCESSusername not found: /path/to/webpage

I can understand the first log entry; the client machine cannot contact the server machine at the moment. (It cleared up without any changes as far as I can tell. Perhaps a slow network?).

What I don't understand is why MySQL appears to be trying to authenticate the HTACCESS username.

Once the user logs in to the webpage with his HTACCESS username, the script connects to the MySQL server with the same MySQL login credentials for everyone.

Even with register_globals on (which I can't turn off), I am explicitly setting the $username variable in mysql_connect() which I call as "mysql_connect($server, $username, $password)" to use to connect to MySQL.

I'm on PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 4.1.20, sql.safe_mode is Off, mysql.default_user had no value.
Doesn't the web server own the process anyway?

From the docs:
mysql_connect username
The username. Default value is defined by mysql.default_user. In SQL safe mode, this parameter is ignored and the name of the user that owns the server process is used.

mysql.default_user  string
The default user name to use when connecting to the database server if no other name is specified. Doesn't apply in SQL safe mode.

Why is this second log entry present? I don't see any place where I ask MySQL to authenticate an HTACCESS username. Perhaps there is a default setting I can turn off?

Thanks.