there is no problem with my 11g1 system

I also have a number of similar "impossible" unix/solaris/Linux installs under
my belt!

right now I am editing my /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file
________________

from a php site: http://us.php.net/manual/en/oci8.setup.php
ORACLE_HOME
ORACLE_SID
LD_PRELOAD                    ???
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
NLS_LANG                      ???

I have these: (still didn't work!
SetEnv ORACLE_HOSTNAME localhost.localdomain
SetEnv ORACLE_BASE /u01/app/oracle
SetEnv ORACLE_HOME /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1
SetEnv ORACLE_SID lmkiiiGDNSID
SetEnv ORACLE_TERM xterm
SetEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=31476      HMMMM!